Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sebastian's Birthday

I just realized that I hadn't posted any pictures from Sebastian's birthday on the blog. I put a few up on Facebook, but not here! So here are some, late but good :-)

I asked Sebastian what he wanted at his birthday, and his response was "caterpillar and balloons". I was trying to figure out what to do about cake, and was searching online for some caterpillar inspiration, and of course, The Very Hungry Caterpillar! I can do that!

So this was his cake. Made by yours truly. I was very excited to find pre-colored fondant :-D. Red, green, blue, and yellow in a pack. But not black/brown. But, as we all know, play-doh has a tendency to turn a mushy grey/black after a while...maybe fondant works that way too?? Sure does, mix all the colors together, and it becomes the perfect caterpillar foot color! I was pretty excited about the result, I have to say! And it really was very easy to do :-)

We did his birthday party at Goleta Beach Park. Love that about Santa Barbara. There are so many parks and picnic areas, and it is way easy to do a kids birthday at a park outside. Much less mess :-). It had been raining on and off for several days before, but once again we dodged the rain (third weekend in a row for playgroup birthday without rain!). It was a bit windy, but gorgeous day! We grilled hot dogs and hung out, and then it was time for cake!

Birthday boy and one playgroup friend, Ava. Look at the location and the weather too, so pretty!

The kids were very excited about the cake. We couldn't light the candles because of the wind (we did that later at home), but he still got a song!

The above picture has our whole playgroup. Left to right is Kai (who has a little sister Lana, 5 months), Jack (who just got a little sister, Lucca on Feb 17th), Maya (who is waiting for a little brother in March), Sebastian, Ava (who has a little sister Vivian (15 months I think) and just got another one, Ellie, about two weeks ago), and Quinn (who has a little sister, Ruby, two weeks younger than Isabella). They are all just about the same age (Dec-Feb) and the younger ones are all pretty close too, so it really works out nicely for playing. We're so lucky to have such a great group here! Great kids, and great parents too!

I kinda stuck with the Hungry Caterpillar, and found fabric online and made goodie bags for the party. Butterfly bubbles, Eric Carle stickers, bouncy ball (just 'cause they are cool!) and there were green m&ms and fruit gummy snacks in there too, but they are loooong gone :-D

As we were trying to keep things from blowing away, and manning the bbq and the helium tank (Sebastian got his balloons at the park and at home, he was happy about that!), we didn't take much pictures at the park. But we had a good time!

In the evening, it was time for some presents at home! Thank you all for great presents! Books, toys, clothes! It has all been thoroughly tested and tried :-).

And happy flowery Isabella who is going to be 1 in a month!

No comments: